Much was amiss in Gerrit Cole’s first year with the Yankees.
With his second season in the Bronx closer to normal, he spent all night making bats miss.
Cole struck out 13 and walked none over seven scoreless innings, overwhelming the Baltimore Orioles, 7-2, Tuesday night for his first win this season.
“Definitely more comfortable,” Cole said. “Certainly, just teammates-wise, socially wise, it’s been a lot easier than inserting yourself into a new team, into the environment that we had last year and a more normal setting, more normal season, people in the stands.”
Cole was 7-3 with a 2.84 E.R.A. in 12 starts last year after the Yankees made him baseball’s highest-paid pitcher with a $324 million, nine-year contract.
“Last year was weird and hard and difficult on so many different levels for everybody,” Yankees Manager Aaron Boone said. “Gerrit is more comfortable now knowing everyone in the organization, knowing his pitching coach and where to go for information and his teammates.”
Cole (1-0) allowed four hits, three of them singles. Jay Bruce backed him with his first Yankees home run, a solo shot in the second off Dean Kremer (0-1) that was a Yankee Stadium special of 354 feet into the right-field short porch. Aaron Judge added a three-run homer against Wade LeBlanc in the eighth.
The Yankees have won 12 straight home games against the Orioles since May 2019, tying the Yankees’ mark vs. the old St. Louis Browns in 1926-27 and outscoring Baltimore 76-30. New York moved above .500 for first time this year at 3-2.
Yankees Trade for Odor
Infielder Rougned Odor was acquired by the Yankees for minor league outfielders Antonio Cabello and Josh Stowers. Odor, 27, did not make the Rangers’ opening-day roster and was designated for assignment on April 1. He is a left-handed hitter, and the Yankees have a mostly right-handed lineup. Texas will pay the Yankees cash to cover all but a prorated share of the $570,500 minimum this year and the 2022 minimum, which is still to be negotiated.
Odor will cost nothing to the Yankees for purposes of the luxury tax. The team optioned right-hander Michael King to the alternate training site and designated infielder Thairo Estrada for assignment.
Mets Ride Bats and Stroman to Win
Marcus Stroman tossed six sharp innings in his first start since 2019, Dominic Smith and Pete Alonso each hit a two-run homer and the Mets beat the Philadelphia Phillies, 8-4, Tuesday night for their first win of the season.
Didi Gregorius hit a solo homer for Philadelphia, which sought its first 5-0 start since 1915.
After sitting out last year because of Covid-19 concerns, Stroman (1-0) didn’t miss a step. He allowed one run and three hits before giving way to a bullpen that wasted Jacob deGrom’s masterful performance a night earlier.
Phillies starter Chase Anderson (0-1) permitted two runs and two hits over five innings in his first start with his new team. Vince Velasquez struck out the side in the sixth but walked four batters in the seventh. All four scored as the Mets extended their lead to 6-1.
Brandon Nimmo drew the walk that forced in the Mets’ third run and chased Velasquez. Francisco Lindor hit a sacrifice fly off Brandon Kintzler to make it 4-1. Another run scored when Kevin Pillar stole home as Nimmo swiped second base and catcher J.T. Realmuto’s throw to second bounced off Gregorius’ glove. Michael Conforto’s RBI double tacked on another run.
Pinch-hitter Rhys Hoskins followed Adam Haseley’s double with an R.B.I. single off Miguel Castro in the seventh. Castro escaped further trouble by retiring Bryce Harper on a deep drive to center with runners on second and third.
Trevor May pitched out of a jam with runners on second and third in the eighth, striking out Brad Miller and Roman Quinn.
Alonso connected off David Hale in the ninth, drawing “Let’s Go Mets!” chants from blue-and-orange-clad fans who made the trip to Philly.
The Mets opened their season Monday after a three-game series at Washington was postponed because of a coronavirus breakout among the Nationals.
Tatis Jr. May Avoid Surgery
San Diego Padres shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr. should be able to avoid surgery on his left shoulder, the team said a day after he slightly dislocated it taking a hard swing.
An M.R.I. on Tuesday showed a slight labral tear and the Padres put the electrifying 22-year-old on the 10-day injured list. General Manager A.J. Preller said the club wasn’t ruling out anything, including Tatis’s possible return when he’s eligible.
Tatis winced in pain as he fell to the ground and cradled his left arm in Monday night’s game against San Francisco. Manager Jayce Tingler and a trainer held Tatis’s left arm against his body as he walked off the field.
According to Preller, doctors said another partially dislocated shoulder could occur again but playing this season wouldn’t put him at long-term risk.
“Everybody was very confident that surgery wasn’t the answer at this point in time,” Preller said. “We can keep him on the field here this year and be able to put him in a spot where he can be successful and not be in pain and we’re not doing any kind of long-term damage.”
Tatis signed a 14-year, $340 million contract on Feb. 22, the longest deal in big league history.