Victoria records zero new cases of coronavirus but hundreds are still on alert for possible exposure in Melbourne
Victoria has recorded zero new cases of coronavirus but hundreds are still on alert for possible exposure.
The state health department confirmed there were only three new infections in hotel quarantine on Tuesday morning, and no cases of community transmission.
But popular retailers Strandbags and Sketchers in Melbourne’s CBD have been added to the list of exposure sites following two new local cases on Monday.
Both stores are located in the Spencer Outlet Centre in Docklands.
An infected shopper visited the Strandbags store on May 18 between 12.00pm-12.25pm, while another attended Sketchers on the same day from 12.10pm-12.40pm.
Pictured: People exercising in Melbourne amid Covid-19 restrictions. The state recorded no new infections on Tuesday
The Victorian Health Department listed the stores as tier 2 exposure sites, with those who visited the store advised to get tested urgently and isolate until receiving a negative result.
About 15,067 Victorians were tested on Monday and 9,997 received a vaccine dose at a state-run hub during the same period.
Health Minister Martin Foley on Sunday said the state was ‘on track’ to further ease restrictions but warned any changes would be ‘gradual’ and ‘careful’.
He said increased testing would give authorities more confidence the virus wasn’t spreading undetected in the community.
Melbourne emerged from a two-week lockdown on Friday, though it was replaced with strict restrictions, including a ban on home gatherings, a 25km travel limit and mandatory masks indoors and out, which will remain until at least June 18.
Regional Victorians are allowed two visitors at home, while density limits are in place at restaurants, pubs and cafes, gyms and other venues.
Residents of a Southbank townhouse complex have been ordered to isolate for up to a fortnight after authorities established a link between two coronavirus cases who live there.
A Coles express, on the Melton Highway in Taylor Lakes, was also added to the list as a tier 2 site on Monday after positive case visited the petrol station store on May 21 between 10.30am-11.00am.
The two new local cases of COVID-19 on Monday are both children, who are close contacts of previous cases and have not been in the community while infectious.
One is linked to the Reservoir household reported last week, while the other is linked to the man who tested positive at the Southbank townhouse complex. It was previously reported by authorities that the man had a young family.
Authorities are yet to establish a link between the Reservoir family of four, who tested positive on Thursday, to the wider City of Whittlesea outbreak.
Mr Foley said contact tracers were looking at a number of cases that have contracted the virus near a Thomastown industrial precinct, just south of the Metropolitan Ring Road.
‘There are as many as 10 public and private exposure sites within this particular pocket of Thomastown, with some broad overlap between a number of the positive cases,’ he said.
‘We want to use this as an opportunity to remind everyone who was in that industrial precinct, whether you deliver goods there, whether you are part of the service delivery to that particular industrial precinct, just to think about any symptoms that you may have had.’
More to come.