Boy, five, dies from head injuries a week after ‘mirror fell on him’ at Fenwick’s department store in Essex
- Boy, five, has died from head injuries after a ‘mirror fell on him’ in a store in Essex
- Paramedics administered first aid at the Fenwick store at 11.30am last Tuesday
- Police officers had also been called due to ‘concerns for the welfare of a child’
A five-year-old boy has tragically died from head injuries just one week after a ‘mirror fell on him’ in a department store.
Paramedics administered first aid to the boy at the Fenwick store in Colchester, Essex, at around 11.30am last Tuesday.
Police officers were called to the scene by the ambulance service due to ‘concerns for the welfare of a child’ and they helped to administer first aid.
The youngster was taken to Colchester Hospital after sustaining a ‘serious head injury’, which is understood to have been caused when a mirror fell on top of him inside the Fenwick store.
But police confirmed on Tuesday that the five-year-old boy has tragically died from his head injuries, exactly one week after the incident.
Paramedics administered first aid at the Fenwick store in Colchester, Essex, around 11.30am on Tuesday
Essex Police said in a Twitter statement: ‘Tragically, we can now confirm a five-year-old boy has died after an incident inside a store in #Colchester High Street last week.
‘Our officers are supporting the boy’s family at this tragic time.’
Specialist officers are continuing to support the boy’s family following the tragic news, Essex Police confirmed.
After the news of the boy’s death, Chief Inspector Rob Huddleston, District Commander for Colchester, said: ‘I know I speak for all of my teams when I say that we are extremely saddened by today’s news.
‘This is a truly heart-breaking incident and all of our thoughts are with the boy’s loved ones.
‘On behalf of my attending officers, I would also like to thank the members of the public and store staff who went above and beyond to assist us.
Police officers were also called by the ambulance service due to ‘concerns for the welfare of a child’
‘We are extremely grateful for your help.’
Essex Police previously said that they were investigating the incident alongside Colchester Borough Council.
After the incident last week, a police spokesman said: ‘We were called to Fenwick department store in Colchester High Street by colleagues in the ambulance service shortly after 11.30am on Tuesday July 27 with reports of concerns for the welfare of a child.
‘We arrived and found a five-year-old boy had sustained a serious head injury.
‘Alongside store staff and medics, our officers immediately administered first aid to the boy.
‘He was taken to hospital in a critical condition, where he remains. Specialist officers are supporting the boy’s family at this time.
‘We are supporting an investigation into the incident alongside Colchester Borough Council.’
Essex Police are supporting an investigation into the incident alongside Colchester Borough Council and the store remains closed today
Fenwick director Mia Fenwick said in a statement last week: ‘The Fenwick family, leadership and all of our colleagues are shocked and saddened by the incident which happened at our Colchester store yesterday morning.
‘Our thoughts are with the child and their family during this difficult time.
‘We are working closely with the local authorities to assist with the investigation and to understand how this happened.’
A Colchester Borough Council spokesman said at the time of the incident: ‘We have been made aware by Essex Police of an incident in Fenwicks.
‘We will now be gathering information regarding the circumstances surrounding the incident as part of our health and safety responsibilities to support any potential investigation needed.’