Coroner confirms that human remains found at Wyoming campsite belong to Gabby Petito – and that she was murdered
- A body believed to be Gabby Petito was found in Wyoming on Sunday
- On Tuesday the coroner confirmed her identity
- The coroner said that the 22-year-old from New York had been murdered
- She was last seen alive on August 24 checking out of a Utah hotel
- Her boyfriend Brian Laundrie, 23, returned to Florida on September 1
- He has now been declared missing and is ‘a person of interest’ in the case
A coroner in Wyoming has confirmed that a body found on Sunday is that of Gabby Petito.
The 22-year-old from New York was last seen alive on August 24, checking out of a hotel in Utah, during her road trip across the U.S. with boyfriend Brian Laundrie, 23.
Laundrie returned to his family home in Florida without her on September 1, and on September 14 police were alerted to his disappearance. He has not been seen since, and remains a ‘person of interest’ in the case.
On Tuesday, the FBI in Denver tweeted: ‘Teton County Coroner Dr. Brent Blue confirmed the remains are those of Gabrielle Venora Petito, date of birth March 19, 1999.
‘Coroner Blue’s initial determination for the manner of death is homicide.
‘The cause of death remains pending final autopsy results.’
Gabby Petito, 22, is pictured with her boyfriend Brian Laundrie, 23, in a YouTube video made to document their ‘van life’ road trip. A body believed to be Petito’s was found on Sunday and on Tuesday the coroner confirmed it was her. Laundrie has disappeared