Del Rio camp cleared as last remaining migrants depart



A CNN team captured images under the bridge of the final two buses as they departed for US Customs and Border Protection processing centers.

A surge of migrants — many of them Haitian — had converged on the temporary site at the bridge, the result of word-of-mouth or social media posts saying that the border at Del Rio was open, US Border Patrol Chief Raul Ortiz previously said. 

Chaotic scenes at the bridge, including law enforcement on horseback using aggressive tactics against migrants, had sparked anger from both local and federal officials. 

Earlier Friday morning, Bruno Lozano, the mayor of Del Rio, Texas, had told CNN just 144 migrants remained, waiting to be processed by US immigration authorities. 

This is a developing story and will be updated.



Source link

Spread the love

Written by bourbiza

Harrowing photos show trees and rocks around Gabby Petito’s death site marked by FBI

Remembering Richard Buckley – The New York Times