Australian navy helicopter crashes into the Philippine SEa with three crew members on board


Australian navy helicopter crashes into the ocean with three crew on board

  • Three people onboard a navy helicopter have crashed into the Philippine Sea 
  • They were rescued by boats dispatched by the HMAS Brisbane on Wednesday  
  • The crew escaped with minor injuries with their families notified of the crash
  • Defence Minister said investigation is underway to find out what went wrong










An investigation is underway after a Royal Australian Navy helicopter went down in the Philippine Sea.

Three Royal Australian Navy crew members have been rescued with minor injuries after their helicopter ditched in the Philippine Sea.

The navy’s MH-60R Seahawk fleet has been grounded after a helicopter got into difficulty and made an emergency landing on Wednesday night.

Three crew members sustained minor injuries and were rescued by boats dispatched by HMAS Brisbane.

An investigation is underway after a Royal Australian Navy helicopter went down in the Philippine Sea (pictured, a MH-60S Sea Hawk helicopter near Rockhampton)

An investigation is underway after a Royal Australian Navy helicopter went down in the Philippine Sea (pictured, a MH-60S Sea Hawk helicopter near Rockhampton)

Defence Minister Peter Dutton says an investigation is being conducted into what went wrong.

‘It got into difficulties, they’re not sure yet what went wrong but the most important thing is that the crew members were rescued … and they were brought back onto the vessel about 20 minutes later,’ he told 2GB radio on Thursday. 

‘So minor injuries, their families have been notified, but I guess it just underscores the difficult work and the dangerous work that the men and women of our Australian Defence Force undertake.’

Commander of the Australian Fleet, Rear Admiral Mark Hammond, confirmed the MH-60R Seahawk fleet had been temporarily grounded during the investigation.

‘With the aircrew safe, investigating the circumstances that led to the helicopter ditching is the priority at the moment,’ he said in a statement.

Defence Minister Peter Dutton (pictured) says an investigation is being conducted into what went wrong after the helicopter crashed with three crew members onboard

Defence Minister Peter Dutton (pictured) says an investigation is being conducted into what went wrong after the helicopter crashed with three crew members onboard

Advertisement



Source link

Spread the love

Written by bourbiza

Wave of disgust forces Australian Muslim group to cancel a webinar with the Taliban

Cowboys’ Trevon Diggs Is Among the N.F.L.’s Breakout Stars