NYPD officer, 31, ‘waits at home of former girlfriend and opens fire when she comes home with another woman – seriously injuring her ex and killing her lover’
- A police woman named locally as Yvonne Wu, 31, allegedly shot and killed her ex-girlfriend’s lover after waiting at the house until the pair arrived home together
- The shooting happened at around 5pm on Wednesday evening in the Bensonhurst district of Brooklyn
- ‘We believe the cop was inside the residence before the other two females came home,’ said Assistant Chief Michael Kemper of Brooklyn South patrol district
- The New York Daily News said that Wu was sitting on the bed of her ex, who they named as Jenny Li, and opened fire when Li and her new lover walked in
- Kemper confirmed that they believe the officer and the 23-year-old were ‘in an intimate relationship’ and the incident was domestic violence
- Wu’s 23-year-old ex-girlfriend is expected to survive after being shot in the torso
- The 24-year-old lover died after being shot in the chest ‘possibly more than one time’
A 31-year-old female NYPD cop waited in the home of her ex-girlfriend then, when she returned home with another woman, shot them both, seriously injuring the former girlfriend and killing her 24-year-old lover.
The officer, named by New York Daily News as Yvonne Wu, works for the NYPD’s 72nd precinct and has been a member of NYPD for five and a half years.
Assistant Chief Michael Kemper, of the Brooklyn South patrol district, refused to name the officer but said that she handed herself in when police arrived at the house and was ‘calm and collected and very forthcoming’.
Kemper said the officer shot the two women inside a home belonging to her 23-year-old girlfriend in Brooklyn, at 7901 19th Avenue, in Bensonhurst.
The incident happened at about 5pm on Wednesday, he said.
‘We believe the cop was inside the residence before the other two females came home,’ said Kemper.
The New York Daily News reported that Wu was sitting on her ex-girlfriend’s bed waiting for them to return.
Wu’s 23-year-old girlfriend was found in the living room, shot in the torso but expected to survive.
The 24-year-old woman was found lying in the bedroom, having been shot in the chest ‘possibly more than once’. She died from her injuries.
A woman who gave her name as Jenny Li called 911, the paper said. The Daily News said that was Wu’s girlfriend.
A large police presence was seen on Wednesday afternoon outside the house in Bensonhurst
Neighbors are seen looking on after the shooting on Wednesday at around 5pm
Police and an ambulance are seen on the scene in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, on Wednesday
When Li called 911, the operator could hear someone in the background saying, ‘That’s what you get,’ sources told the Daily News.
Both victims and a third patient – believed to be Wu – were taken to Maimonides Hospital in scenes captured by neighbors and uploaded to Citizen.
The off-duty officer was in custody, Kemper said, and the case is being treated as a homicide.
He said it was unclear whether she used her service weapon, but there was ‘a very good chance it is.’
‘The motive is believed to be domestic in nature,’ said Kemper.
Kemper said that the officer had no known disciplinary problems.
He said she last worked on Tuesday night, and was expected at work again on Wednesday evening.