Queensland father Stephen Craker forced to undergo a leg amputation after a white tail spider bite


Horror picture shows man’s leg after he was bitten by a white-tailed spider that caused such a bad infection it had to be amputated

  • Stephen Craker, 62, had his left leg amputated after a white tail spider bite
  • Mr Craker was giving quote to client at a Kippa-Ring home when he was bitten
  • He noticed a small bump near his ankle, but within days he could barely walk
  • The bite turned into necrosis requiring nine surgeries and a leg amputation
  • His devastated daughter has now started a GoFundMe for medical expenses 










A Queensland father has suffered an horrific ordeal after a small spider bite resulted in a leg amputation. 

Stephen Craker, 62, was bitten by a white tail spider while he was at a Kippa-Ring home undertaking a quote for a garden maintenance job on October 21. 

A few hours later Mr Craker returned to his Clontarf home when he noticed a small bump near his ankle that looked like an ingrown hair, according to The Courier Mail.

Stephen Craker, 62, (pictured) had recently been given a job offer and was undertaking a garden maintenance quote when he was bitten by a white tail spider

Stephen Craker, 62, (pictured) had recently been given a job offer and was undertaking a garden maintenance quote when he was bitten by a white tail spider 

Over the next two days Mr Craker’s bump became increasingly painful, resulting in a trip to the GP who prescribed the 62-year-old some antibiotics. 

By October 24 Mr Craker was in so much pain that he could barely walk.

After a trip to hospital and later a visit from a home doctor, he was advised to continue taking his antibiotics and was given some medication for pain relief. 

Three days later Mr Craker’s condition worsened after his bite developed into a painful infection, causing his family to call an ambulance to Redcliffe Hospital. 

Doctors performed two surgeries on his leg over five days but after developing necrosis he was transferred to the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital.

Surgeons tried desperately to remove the infected tissue from his left leg with Mr Craker undergoing eight operations in three weeks.  

Eventually doctor’s told Mr Craker his only option was to undergo a below knee amputation. 

Days later Mr Craker was in hospital suffering from a serious infection (pictured)  that eventually lead to a below the knee leg amputation

Days later Mr Craker was in hospital suffering from a serious infection (pictured)  that eventually lead to a below the knee leg amputation 

Mr Craker’s daughter Mish Jones has now started a GoFundMe campaign to help her father with the financial costs of his rehabilitation and medical expenses. 

‘My dad was absolutely over the moon, words basically can not describe how excited he was to start a new job especially after 11 years of just waiting for an opportunity,’ she wrote.

Ms Jones said her father had gone through ‘absolute hell’ in the last month and that she just wanted to ‘make him smile again’. 

‘It is killing me to watch my dear loved one go from being the happiest I’ve seen to having his entire world turned upside down,’ she said.

‘He is now currently trying to heal and get better, however knowing that he has lost his job opportunities has completely broken his heart and it’s extremely hard to watch.’  

Tests carried out on the removed tissue confirmed he had been bitten by a white spider. 

White tailed spiders are commonly found in homes across Australia and vary in size between 12-18mm.

Though non-venomous, the spider bite can cause a mild reaction, including itching and skin discolouration. 

In rare cases, such as Mr Craker’s, painful blistering and ulceration can occur leading to severe complications. 

Mr Craker is now reportedly out of hospital and recovering at home but still experiences some pain and discomfort.  

White tailed spider bites

Try to keep the spider for identification purposes if you have been bitten.

Symptoms:   

Localised irritation, such as a stinging or burning sensation

A small lump

Localised itchiness

Swelling

Skin discolouration

Ulceration (in some cases)

Nausea and vomiting (in some cases) 
 

First Aid:   

Apply an icepack to help relieve swelling

See a doctor if the skin starts to develop blisters or ulcers

Advertisement



Source link

Written by Bourbiza Mohamed

A technology enthusiast and a passionate writer in the field of information technology, cyber security, and blockchain

Couples who don’t pool their earnings are at far greater risk of ruining their relationship

United Airlines will not stop service to Africa, moving ahead with seasonal service